These are my preparations for the SPIEL 2021. I can't wait to walk the halls in Essen after the pandemic and I am looking forward to meeting people and looking at colorful tables filled with boards, dices, wooden cubes and meeples.
- The official Spiel 21 Preview list on BoardGameGeek (Article, English).
- The official SPIEL guide as PDF
- 10 new boardgame releases for fall 2021 by Abenteuer Brettspiele (Podcast, German).
- New boardgame releases for SPIEL 2021 at Abenteuer Brettspiele (Article, German).
- Special episode with the top 10 games of 2021 by Brettagogen (Podcast, German).
- For this year: List with cancellations and approvals for this year's SPIEL 2021 on BoardGameGeek (Forum, English)
- Pre-order and pick-up options for SPIEL 2021 at unknowns.de (Forum, German).
- SPIEL 2021 pre-order and pickup list on BoardGameGeek (Forum, English).
- A list of personal interests on new releases for SPIEL 2021 (Forum, German).
- Allessandros mid/heavy euro list for SPIEL 2021 on BoardGameGeek (Forum, English).
- Top boardgame designers (by game ranks) at BoardGameGeek (Forum, English)
- Christoph of brettspielbox.de has created his custom floor plans for the SPIEL 2021 (Website, German)
Boardgames (to buy / look at)
- Dice Theme Park is all around building up a theme park (based on the Dice Hospital mechanics). Looks great so far and is available for pre-order (BGG). Alley Cat Games will be at 5G117.
- Explorers - A new flip-and-write by Phil-Walker Harding and Ravensburger that looks promising. Seems to be an explorer version of Bingo!
- Karak is a dungeon crawler for kids that I hope to see at the KOSMOS booth in Hall 3. It looks pretty simple but beautiful, too (BGG).
- Lisbon Tram 28 - a game around the famous tram line 28 in Lissabon. Pick-up and deliver of tourists and sightseeing spots - with the option to beat your opponents to the best route. Looks pretty nice so far - although I don't get the function of the bell :) (BGG).
- Merchants of the Dark Road is an ameritrash beauty. It looks amazing, so many items, your player board is a wagon, that you have to puzzle your goods into. Just wow! You will definitely need to have the right-sized table to run it. It's played during a long, cold 13-weeks winter, where you have to be a brave merchant to deliver your goods into the dangerous outskirts of the country (BGG, rulebook).
- Messina 1347 is a game by Delicious Games (and again the artist Vladimir Suchy) around the Black Plague pandemic in the beautiful city of Messina. However, it has a slightly strange storyline to it, since we rich people fleeing the town while trying to help the poor (???). It looks great and seems to be quite complex. The rulebook is available btw.
- Metro: City Edition - Metro is an older puzzle and tile placement game where you have to connect rails to connect places in the city. I like the ease of play. Metro: City Edition is a new version, that contains many expansions as well - but it will be around ~150 EUR (BGG).
Paleo is still on my to buy-listJust got it as a birthday present!
- Paper Dungeons - a dungeon-based roll-and-write, a so-called dungeons drawler. Looks nice and I generally like lightweight games like these. Publishers are MeepleBR, Alley Cat Games and Grimspire and they will be available in Essen.
- Schichtwechsel is the new game by Thomas Spitzer. Again, it's all about coal and the Ruhr valley. I love the theme of his games and how he puts mechanics into them. It will be available in Essen at the Spielefaible booth in Hall 1 (BGG).
- The Loop by Board Game Box is a game around defeating a villain in different ages with the help of deck building and a time machine :) (BGG)
- Thunderstone Quest looks a little bit like Aeon's End (and is a revamp of Thunderstone), but it still looks great and has some more fluff mechanics and material. Love the setup (BGG).
- Tenpenny Parks is a game by Nate Linhart and famous artist Vincent Dutrait. The game is about building a theme park over multiple years or seasons using set collection and tile placement. It's announced for 2022 by Thunderworks Games and the artwork looks just stunning. Probably we won't see it in Essen this year (BGG).
- Unfathomable is a game around horrible things happening on the steamship SS Atlantica. Strange nightmares haunt the passengers and nobody knows who is human and who is not (BGG, 6p game on Yt).
Older games still on my list
- Rallyman GT
- Catan Duel
- Lost Ruins of Arnak: Expedition Leaders will introduce unique abilities and a unique starting deck to your player board and a new research track. It reminds me of the El Dorado Heroes & Hexes expansion, but of course it fits the theme - and hey, it's Arnak! (BGG, Essen Pre-Order)
- Paleo: Ein neuer Anfang is the first expansion for Paleo (BGG).
- Chronicles of Crime is a great detective game localized to German by Corax Games (Hall 1, B137). With Noir, Redview, 1400, 1900 and the upcoming 2400 many extensions are available. I am very interested in checking out the 1400 edition.
- Kartographer: Heroes & Die Kartographin at Pegasus booth
- There will be a Catan Duell 25 years bonus box at the KOSMOS booth at Hall 3.
- Maracaibo - Der Aufstand
- Aeon's End Expansions
- Spirit Island Expansions
- Lost Ruins of Arnak: Saxophone promo card
- Lost Ruins of Arnak: Alicorn promo card
- Buntes Burano promo: New shops
- Blue wooden cubes (16x) at spielmaterial.de in Hall1, C115.
- Hall 1, B126 - Spielefaible (Schichtwechsel)
- Hall 1, B137 - Corax Games (Chronicles of Crime)
- Hall 1, B141 - Grimspire (Paper Dungeons)
- Hall 1, C115 - Mücke Spiele (spiel-material.de)
- Hall 1, C121 - Heidelberg Games (Arnak & expansions)
- Hall 1, C123 - Hans im Glück (Paleo & expansions)
- Hall 1, D139 - Czech Games Edition (Arnak & expansions, pick-up)
- Hall 2, A116 - Mr. Meeple Shirts
- Hall 3, B110 & B112 - KOSMOS (Karak, Catan Duel)
- Hall 3, D120 - Iello / Hutter (King of Tokyo Monster Box)
- Hall 3, H110 - Ravensburger
- Hall 3, H113 - Feuerland GmbH
- Hall 3, H116 - Queen Games (Metro: City Edition)
- Hall 3, M101 & M103 - Frosted Games / Pegasus (Aeon's End Expansions, Cartographer Expansions)
- Hall 3, O119 - Plan B Games / eggertspiele
- Hall 5, A120 - Game Brewer (Stroganov)
- Hall 5, C129 - Elf Creek Games (Merchants of the Dark Road)
- Hall 5, D122 - MEBO Games (Lisbon Tram 28)
- Hall 5, D126 - Board Game Circus (Wildes Weltall, Buntes Burano)
- Hall 5, D111 - Delicious Games (Messina 1347)
- Hall 5, G117 - Alley Cat Games (Dice Theme Park)
- Hall 6, A104 - Kraken GmbH (Mats)
- Hall 6, G102 - KAPPLEX Brettspielmöbel
- Hall 6, G108 - Free League Publishing (Tales from the Loop Boardgame)
- Hall 6, G116 - System Matters